Emacs for OS X Modified
Emacs for OS X Modified is a distribution of GNU Emacs 24.5 (released April 10, 2015) with the following additions:
- ESS 15.03-1;
- AUCTeX 11.88;
- org 8.2.10;
- polymode 1.0 and markdown-mode 2.0;
- psvn.el revision 1573006, an interface for the version control system Subversion, modified to include Andre Colomb's and Koji Nakamaru's combined patches to support Subversion 1.7;
- framepop.el to open temporary buffers in a separate frame;
- custom import-env-from-shell.el to import the user's environment (by default PATH, MANPATH and LANG) at Emacs startup;
- default.el and site-start.el, configuration files to make everything work.
This distribution is based on the latest stable release of GNU Emacs compiled by David Caldwell and distributed on Emacs for Mac OS X
OS X 10.4 or later
24.5-1-modified-1 (what's new)
Open the disk image and copy Emacs in the Applications folder or any other folder.
See the archives.
This distribution of Emacs is based on the NeXTstep port part of the official sources of GNU Emacs. Other than the additions mentioned above and the minor configurations found in the site-start.el file, this is a stock distribution of Emacs. Users of Emacs on other platforms will appreciate the similar look and feel of the application.
Those looking for a more Mac-like version of Emacs should consider Aquamacs. I used Aquamacs myself for two years, but I got tired of disabling the newer “features” in each release of the application. For me Aquamacs insists too much on opening new frames and on playing with fonts. Moreover, ESS is not kept up to date on a regular basis.
For more information of the various options to run Emacs on OS X, see the Emacs wiki.